1) When designing your mail piece consider it’s size. The cost of the mailing can be cut by up to 50% if designed correctly.
2) Does your mailing house do printing? The advantage of using your mailing house to print is that as soon as it is printed it can go directly into the envelope which saves time which can be crucial to your mailing.
3) Ask your mailing house for the certain parameters of your mail piece such as weight. Again being overweight by as little as one gram can double the cost of the mailing.
4) If your cover letter is personalised try to use a windowed envelope. If the mailing house has to match the personalised letter in the inner envelope to an address on the outer envelope thus creating a mail match then the cost of the mailing will increase considerably.
5) If you are considering having more than one piece in the envelope personalised then ask yourself is it really necessary as this will create a mail match and again increase the cost of your mailing significantly.
6) If your mailing has more than 2000 pieces of mail, ask your mailing house to get you a bulk mail reduction. This reduction can sometimes cover the cost of putting the mailing together.
7) Make sure your database is in good order i.e. deduplicated, salutation, address, separation, inside and outside of ireland. This will save time when the mailing goes live and also save on cost as it will cut down on duplicated mail and bad addresses. If your customer is receiving one or more pieces of the same mailing it can give an unprofessional image of your company, taking the personalised touch away from the mail piece and making your customer feel more like a number on a list.
If you are looking for advice on a direct mailing campaign, don’t hesitate to contact us.